Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Remembering my friend Scott Columbus

Scott Columbus in 2010
The heavy metal world is mourning today as word spreads of the passing of former Manowar drummer and Central New York native, Scott Columbus. Scott, who was 54, died Monday. I write this with a heavy heart as I was lucky enough to call Scott a friend. I am stunned and heartbroken by his death.

I met Scott Columbus and his girlfriend Nancy two years ago when they adopted one of my puppies. While we were making arrangements, there were numerous phone calls back and forth, and at one point Scott asked me what I did. I told him I was a writer with a local entertainment blog and had done some PR for a couple of local bands. “Cool,” he said and then told me he was a drummer and was putting together a band with some area musicians. Would I be interested in helping him with his social media pages? I asked if he was any good, and he told me he wasn’t good, he was “damn 'expletive' good.” That was enough for me. I agreed to help.

I didn’t know he’d been with Manowar until a few weeks after we met. I must confess, I’ve never been much of a metal fan, and while I’d heard of Manowar, I really wasn’t all that aware of their music or the influence this band had on the genre. Once I checked out some videos on YouTube, however, I was quite impressed by the drumming virtuosity of my new friend.

Scott and I had absolutely nothing in common, but we clicked instantly. He trusted me because I never hesitated to call him on his crap when I saw it. He told me I was one of the only people he knew who wasn’t afraid to do that and to whom he would actually listen. He’d had too many people in his life who kissed his butt and told him what he wanted to hear. He knew if he came to me, he’d get the truth even if he didn’t want to hear it!

In the two years I knew Scott, I was privileged to see him play at his home numerous times, but I only saw him play out once – a gig in a local club with a tossed together, under-rehearsed band. He was very nervous about this gig; much more so than what was warranted. There weren’t many people there that night, and while the lack of rehearsal was pretty apparent, there was no doubt Scott was still the master of his craft. It was truly awesome!Check out the video below of Scott's solo that night.

The last few years haven’t been easy for Scott Columbus. I believe he missed the road, and at the same time, he feared the road. Despite his talent and reputation, he was surprisingly insecure. He worried he’d been away too long and that he’d lost it. He was buoyed by his return to the stage in the summer of 2010 (he played several gigs in Europe with former Manowar band mate Ross “The Boss” Friedman), and yet he didn’t make the final show. I urged him to go because so many people were looking forward to seeing him play again. It was as though he didn’t believe people still cared.

He wasn't idle, however. He had recorded some interesting new material he called Instrumetal. But as enthused as he was, he was reluctant to put it out there. “What if it sucks?” he asked me one day. “Trust me,” I told him. “It doesn’t suck.” And it didn’t.

And now this funny, genuine, and truly unique human being is gone. I am glad to have known him and already miss him more than I ever thought possible. I just wish he believed how many people really cared about him and how widespread is the ripple effect of his passing. Maybe that would have made a difference.

I hope you finally found some peace, my friend. My prayers to all who loved this man. May you also find some measure of peace in the days to come.

3 comments:

Wildcat April 6, 2011 at 4:55 PM  

Thank you for this article. I am very sad to hear that he felt some insecurity - he should have known he was loved by so many people. I never had the pleasure to call him a friend (except from Facebook ;-) ) - but I have met him during the gigs with Manowar and the way you describe him is exactly how I felt he was! A very joking and friendly guy, true and honest.
He will always be remembered and this will make him live forever!
RIP, Scott!
Wildcat

Anonymous,  April 7, 2011 at 4:10 PM  

Earlier this week Scott Columbus drummer for the metal band Manowar passed away at the age of 54, Scott and I were close friends and musical partners. Scott was in the middle of writing and rehearsing drum parts that he was going to contribute to my upcoming instrumental CD, sadly he never got the chance to record them but when I finish my CD it will be dedicated to him.

Scott was the kindest and funniest man you'd ever met, I remember the first time I met him, it didn't start with a handshake, it started with a bear hug that just about broke a rib! I remember a time he called me up and said come on over and hang out, I said cool I'll be over soon, when I got there he was so happy to see me he came running out of the house and ran over the hood of my car (Bo Duke style) and once again there he was with that damn rib breaking bear hug, I nearly died in laughter, what a ham he was!

I remember many conversations I had with him about his life, he talked about everything from the Manowar days, to his kids, right down to him bitching about the family dog, he seemed to confide and trust me with a lot of personal things for which I was honored.

When I talked to Scott a couple days before he passed and he was excited to work on my CD and start work on a new solo album for himself (for which I started to write music for), he was also looking forward to putting a solo band together to get out and do shows for the Scott Columbus/Manowar fans around the world, I personally think that solo band would have been a very awesome band.

Scott, you left this world way to early, you touched the hearts of so many people around the world, you gave me new hope as a guitarist to never give up, to keep pushing, and stay focused. You were an awesome friend and I will always miss you, I love you my brother in arms, see you in Valhalla...

Dee Thorpe Guitarist

Donna Reynolds April 7, 2011 at 7:00 PM  

What comforts me is that there was never any doubt as to how much we loved him. He didn't believe in half measures, that's for sure. I know how much he valued your friendship, Dee.

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Donna Reynolds has been blogging about entertainment in CNY since 2003, including a five year run on syracuse.com. She is Central New York's most ardent entertainment cheerleader and her goal is to promote all the great entertainment this area has to offer. Be sure to check out the concert calendar for upcoming events, CNY Festivals and Events, and CNY Bands for links to all your favorite local groups. Hope you enjoy, and please tell your friends to check out this comprehensive source for Music in the 'Cuse! Follow Donna on Twitter - Music in the Cuse Donna's Facebook page Contact: dlrturtle@earthlink.net

Search This Blog


  ©Template by Dicas Blogger.